Re: '$' as "valid" character in identifiers

Al Viro wrote:-

> > I think it was a common extension for some strange operating systems
> > (read: VMS), where system symbols have "$" embedded in the name. So you'd
> > have names like "sys$function()" for system functions.
> >
> > It's possible others did it too - gcc says it's "traditional", but the
> > only case I've seen it is from VMS (and thus from DEC->Compaq->HP C
> > compilers).
> >
> > But I certainly wouldn't object to sparse supporting it, although I would
> > suggest that it at least warn by default.
>
> The question is how do they treat $ in preprocessor tokens.  Is it a full
> equivalent of letter?  I.e. is $x a valid identifier?  If it is, that's

Apparently yes:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V50_HTML/ARH9NATE/DOCU_026.HTM

My personal opinion is we don't want to encourage $ in identifiers,
and so I'd urge you to drop the idea :).  Too many poor mis-featured
extensions in GCC already.  At least if you do go ahead it seems the
implementation is trivial (assembler aside).

Neil.
-