Re: sparse segfault on ppc64.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:03:54AM -0700, Christopher Li wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 07:33:44AM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> > Segfault is new (which version?); the fscking mess in altivec is not, but
> > it (a) doesn't depend on host sparse is ran on; (b) shouldn't lead to
> > segfaults.  Altivec extensions are undocumented and fortunately used only
> > in one place in the tree.  You should get sparse errors, but it shouldn't
> > die on those.
>
> I think the segfault is likely to cause by my recent change in the parser.
>
> Dave, can you get a backtrace of the segfault? Even better if you can
> give me a small test case which I can reproduce it on x86.
>
> My guess it is cause by the bad_ctype related changes.

Humm...  I don't see ppc segfaults with the current tree.  However, after
merging the mainline sparse changes and looking for regressions on kernel
allmodconfig builds, I'm seeing a lot of noise due to expression_error() use.
What used to generate a single error now brings a cascade.  More often than
not it's utterly pointless; actually, I can't find a single instance where
additional errors would add any useful information...
-