Re: possible regression with rs485 usage

Am 05.09.24 um 10:25 schrieb Greg KH:
On Thu, Sep 05, 2024 at 10:15:12AM +0200, Radisson97@xxxxxx wrote:
Hi, i am new to this list because i have a strange problem.

We have an embedded board based on the omap3-design with a rs485.
With kernel 3.5 it works fine. Since 3.5 is ancient we are noe trying
to get a new kernel up an running what is 5.8.

Any specific reason why 5.8?  That too is ancient and obsolete and not
supported by anyone.

it seems the last kernel where our system seems to work. We want the
system to work with the vanilla kernel in future, for now we would be
happy to have a workng system at all.

I turns out that the rs485 has issues (it seems a lot of ppl have
the same issue also with other boards). We enable the rs485 via ioctl()
and nothing seems to work. Several restarts, playing with Marcin Niestroyj's
rs485config it suddenly works. (yes hardware is ok, works with older kernel).

So it does work?
instable to say politely, we do not understand why, (read: this error
makes no sense). it seems stop working in later versions.

What exact hardware and drivers are you using?

Board vased on Omap3-design with
* AM3703 with twl4030
* cp210x
* Ax88796

And can you try a modern and supported kernel version please?  We can't
do anything with 5.8 :(

Its a stepstone, (s.o). We have contracted a companie to upgrade the
kernel but they had trouble getting the patches accepted (so i send the
Ax88796 patch to the -netdev ml but i could not figure out
if there where incorporated actualy)

thanks,

greg k-h

hope that helps,