Re: Kernel 6.5 ttyS1 hang with qemu (was Re: [OE-core] Summary of the remaining 6.5 kernel serial issue (and 6.5 summary)

On Tue, 2023-10-17 at 09:56 +0300, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [231016 08:10]:
> > The port sometimes doesn't come up properly at boot.
> >
> > To be clear, the "\n\n" from the qemu side into the port doesn't seem
> > to help. The "echo helloB > /dev/ttyS1" inside the image does seem to
> > wake it up.
>
> So if I understand correctly, this issue still happens with kernel patched
> with commit 81a61051e0ce ("serial: core: Fix checks for tx runtime PM
> state"), and the issue now only happens sometimes.

The issue has always been intermittent and it appeared to happen less
frequently with 81a61051e0ce added but it was hard to know if I was
imagining that.

> I wonder if the following additional change might help?

I've added it into testing and have not reproduced the failure with it
applied yet, locally or on our autobuilder. We need to sort some
release pieces which have been delayed by these issues and we're going
with a workaround for that. Once that is built I can get back to
testing this change more extensively, see if we can still provoke the
issue or not. It may take a day or two of testing before we know with
any certainty if the issue is resolved or not.

Cheers,

Richard