Re: Regression: serial: imx: overrun errors on debug UART

Hi Greg,

Am 20.06.23 um 16:59 schrieb Greg Kroah-Hartman:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 04:47:10PM +0200, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
On 24.05.23 15:07, Stefan Wahren wrote:

Am 23.05.23 um 21:44 schrieb Sergey Organov:
"Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)"
<regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Solving this would need to identify the cause of interrupts being
disabled for prolonged times, and nobody volunteered to investigate this
further. One suspect, the Linux serial console, has been likely excluded
already though, as not actually being in use for printk() output.

I don't think that we can exclude the serial console as a whole, i never
made such a observation. But at least we can exclude kernel logging on
the debug UART.

Stefan, just wondering: was this ever addressed upstream? I assume it's
not, just wanted to be sure.

I'm a bit unsure what to do with this and consider asking Greg for
advice, as he applied the patch. On one hand it's *IMHO* clearly a
regression (but for the record,  some people involved in the discussion
claim it's not). OTOH the culprit was applied more than a year ago now,
so reverting it might cause more trouble than it's worth at this point,
as that could lead to regressions for other users.

I'll be glad to revert this, but for some reason I thought that someone
was working on a "real fix" here.  Stefan, is that not the case?

i can only repeat the statements from 23.5.:

Unfortunately my time budget to investigate this issue further is exhausted, so i stopped working at this.

In case someone can give clear instructions to investigate this further, i will try to look at it in my spare time. But i cannot make any promises.

I'm not aware that some else is working on this.

Best regards

thanks,

greg k-h