Re: Modem control lines for RTSCTS hardware flow control via rts-gpio and cts-gpio with IMX

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 10:19 PM Tomasz Moń <tomasz.mon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14.01.2022 04:08, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > So I believe in order to support using gpios for rts/cts in the imx
> > uart driver I must find the right place to call imx_uart_rts_active
> > and imx_uart_rts_inactive when the FIFO is not full and full
> > respectively. I'm not that familiar with the Linux uart driver
> > framework - am I on the right track and if so any ideas where this is
> > best done?
>
> It is not really the driver (and thus FIFO level), but rather the amount
> of free space in tty buffer (checked by Line Discipline workqueue) that
> determines when to throttle (set RTS inactive). This mostly works fine,
> but fails [1] when the RX interrupt frequency is too high [2].
>
> The throttle/unthrottle request, when termios CRTSCTS is set, is seen by
> the driver as the call to .set_mctrl (imx_uart_set_mctrl) with TIOCM_RTS
> bit cleared/set in mctrl parameter. Currently imx_uart_set_mctrl() only
> controls the UCR2_CTS and UCR2_CTSC bits based on mctrl.
>
> To support your case you would most likely have to add the gpio handling
> in imx_uart_set_mctrl(). However, I am unaware what other issues you
> might encounter (i.e. if it is not done there yet simply because nobody
> had that use case or if there is some deeper problem).
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-serial/10e723c0-a28b-de0d-0632-0bd250478313@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-serial/20220104103203.2033673-1-tomasz.mon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Best Regards,
> Tomasz Mon

Tomasz,

Thanks for the info. Currently imx_uart_set_mctrl calls mctrl_gpio_set
which does toggle the rts-gpio per mctrl & TIOCM_RTS.

Also, there's something in
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/serial/serial.yaml that puzzles me:

if:
  required:
    - uart-has-rtscts
then:
  properties:
    cts-gpios: false
    rts-gpios: false

That would seem to indicate to me that if you define 'uart-has-rtscts'
you should not be defining 'cts-gpios' or 'rts-gpios' but I found that
when I omitted 'uart-has-rtscts' I could no longer enable hardware
flow control. Is my understanding of the yaml wrong or is this just
not accurate?

Best regards,

Tim