Re: non-standard baud rates with Prolific 2303 USB-serial

On 2/23/21 10:43 AM, Johan Hovold wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 09:58:47AM -0500, Michael G. Katzmann wrote:
>> Is it that we are presuming that what Prolific is telling us is true
>> and only Joe and I are actually measuring the data rate?  (i.e. why
>> does the Prolific Windows driver set the values as Joe found ???)
> I'm starting to think they've added some alternate baud rate encoding in
> order to make life harder for the people pushing (or unknowingly buying)
> counterfeit devices.
>
> As you say, why else would the Windows driver support this encoding?

I find that  'Halon;'s razor' is helpful in these situations...  I can't think that messing with people who use old teleprinters would be useful in protecting one's products 8-)

If Joe has some wireshark traces we can see if there are any vendor specific USB packets. If not I can try it (I'd be starting from scratch as I've only use wireshark on Linux).

I presume you can't see any differentiators in the normal USB identifiers that we can use.

If someone has a device that works under the existing driver, it would be helpful to see if the modified scheme also works on those devices?