Re: Extending termios VTIME semantics

Afterthoughts…

First, I hate what Mail.app does to quotes and that you can’t disable it…

> On May 25, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I’m working on a platform where we’re using some very high-speed serial devices, and the inter-block spacing is in the tens of milliseconds.
>
> I’d like to use VTIME but unfortunately it measures time in 100ms intervals, which is useless at higher speeds (115200baud means 1440 characters every VTIME tick).  That’s a long time.
>
> I’d like to propose an extension, but wanted to ask the maintainers first about the feasibility before I spend too much time on it.
>
> Not sure which bits in c_cflag are safe to use without stepping on CIBAUD.

Otherwise, I guess there are free bits in c_lflag.

Which reminds me, what’s a good way to detect if software is running on a kernel that supports this bit?

A compile-time check is easy, but I can’t assume that software running on a kernel was built on that same kernel... so I need an effective check for support at run-time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Philip