Re: Runtime PM support in serial core?

On Thu, 2016-08-25 at 09:17 -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [160825 04:53]:
> >
> > On Wed, 2016-08-24 at 08:43 -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > >

> > > PM runtime with UARTs has been working for me just fine for quite
> > > some
> > > time now. I'm mostly using omap-serial still and have not checked
> > > with
> > > 8250-omap recently.
> >
> > Yeah, they both are using irq_safe flag. Actually they two out of
> > only
> > 15 users in entire kernel.
> >
> > Looks like OMAP code is main user of the flag.
>
> Yeah and we've seen that using irq_safe is not a good solution.
>

> > > But yeah I agree that PM runtime should be improved and simplified
> > > for
> > > 8250.
> >
> > Why not to do this once for all in serial_core.c directly?

This is an approach I'm developing. See below.

> > >  We should not use irq_safe at all and instead fix up things so
> > > runtime_resume wakes up things with pm_runtime_get without
> > > get_sync.
> > > This adds latency only to the first wake-up event which can
> > > already
> > > take a long time at least on omaps as things are getting powered
> > > back
> > > on.
> >

> > > No idea how to implement that though for cases when there's no
> > > dedicated wakeirq.. Maybe change the irq to a threaded irq for the
> > > duration of idle for 8250 irq?
> >
> > I have no ideas either, but irq_safe should be not used if we are
> > doing
> > pm_runtime_get_sync().
>
> Right. How about try something like this to play with:
>
> 1. Configure an external wakeup source as a wakeirq, could be whatever
>    GPIO pin you can trigger for testing too
>
> 2. Then in 8250 pm_runtime_suspend do disable_irq on the 8250 irq
>
> 3. Trigger a wakeirq event
>
> 4. In 8250 pm_runtime_resume, enable_irq on the 8250 irq
>
> And then no irq_safe needed and we can get rid of all the
> pm_runtime calls in interrupt handlers :)

To all who involved:

I have just pushed a proof-of-concept series to my public tree [1] and
we may discuss if it's the direction we would go.

The series has been tested on our hardware with serial console and RxD
used as GPIO to wake it.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/andy-shev/linux/branch/topic%2Fuart%2frpm

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>