Re: Runtime PM support in serial core?

* bigeasy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <bigeasy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [160824 08:24]:
> On 2016-08-24 15:16:08 [+0000], Shevchenko, Andriy wrote:

> > ^^^^^ (1)

> > > Why is it broken?
> >
> > I meant that without irq_safe flag set there are too many places where
> > "sleep while in atomic" happens. On the other hand the irq_safe flag
> > prevents parent to go to suspend.
>
> This must be new then. I don't remember _any_ "sleeping while atomic"
> warnings back then. Maybe Tony knows something. Maybe it does not occur
> on TI's PM code. I would have to reanimate my beagle bone to check that.

PM runtime with UARTs has been working for me just fine for quite some
time now. I'm mostly using omap-serial still and have not checked with
8250-omap recently.

But yeah I agree that PM runtime should be improved and simplified for
8250. We should not use irq_safe at all and instead fix up things so
runtime_resume wakes up things with pm_runtime_get without get_sync.
This adds latency only to the first wake-up event which can already
take a long time at least on omaps as things are getting powered back on.

No idea how to implement that though for cases when there's no dedicated
wakeirq.. Maybe change the irq to a threaded irq for the duration of
idle for 8250 irq?

Regards,

Tony