Re: Enumeration of ISA serial ports inconsistent between Linux and GRUB2

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016, Oliver Mangold wrote:

> I just wanted to inform you about the issue, that's all. I will point it out
> to the developers of Grub and Syslinux, too, and maybe also to Supermicro.

 Since mid 1990s and the move away from jumpered ISA serial option cards
(usually in the form of the so called multi-I/O devices, with a parallel,
FDC, ATA and game/joystick port also included) towards motherboard
super-I/O chips with programmable address decoders implementations of x86
PC firmware (BIOS) quite often have had user-accessible configuration
options to set those decoders differently from the original IBM PC/AT
assignments, so your system wouldn't be the first one to have the ports
enumerated in the firmware in an order different from one that Linux
has always assumed.

  Maciej