Re: Serial methods in speakup

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 12:20:22AM +0530, Shraddha Barke wrote:

> I've discussed with Samuel and he suggested using a proper interface
> provided by the kernel to access serial ports and make speakup use that
> instead of direct port poking.
>
> the I/O operations are factorized into the functions
> - spk_serial_synth_probe
> - spk_serial_out
> - spk_synth_immediate
>
> I'll be adding equivalents of these functions that will use proper kernel
> APIs and then test them. I should add a serial_out method instead of
> spk_serial_out in serialio.c
> How to properly open a serial port and write to it? What essentially would
> be the difference between these functions?

Well, outb() isn't the "real" way to do this, that's only talking
directly to "old-style" serial ports, going around the back of the whole
tty layer.

There is a way to talk to any serial port from within the kernel, I
thought the serio layer did it, or maybe it was bluetooth, but I can't
find it at the moment, sorry.  Try digging around a bit, it's there
somewhere...

thanks,

greg k-h