Re: SC16IS762 SPI interface Driver

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:45:46 +0530, ram kiran wrote:
> >> SC16IS762, has two interfaces i2c/spi, and I see that the current
> >> driver preset in main line kernel 4.0, supports only i2c.
> >> Is it available over SPI interface ?
> >
> > Current mainline driver is not available on SPI, but it uses generic
> > regmap interface to access the registers so it shouldn't be hard to
> > make it work with SPI (you would just have to write the .probe()
> > routines).
> >
> yes, i did do have a KCONFIG in the same file, to split either for existing i2c and SPI.

Do you mean ifdef on the entire driver?

> >> I have a tested SPI interface based SC16IS762 chip driver.
> >> Would like to know if I can contribute the code to main line kernel.
> >
> > I think you mean the sc16is7x2.c driver by Manuel Stahl and others.
> > I'm pretty sure we don't want to have two drivers for the same device
> > in mainline, especially that the current one uses that generic register
> > API.
> >
> > However, both of those drivers have issues with locking (uart uses
> > spinlocks but I2C/SPI transfers are asynchronous) it would be nice
> > to somehow merge them together to get the best of both.
>
> would you mean we can have the I2c and SPI co-exist,  to resolve on this ?

If you take a look at the mainline driver there is only about 50 lines
of i2c-specific code at the end of the file - namely the .probe() and
.remove() routines [1].  I should suffice to provide similar routines
for SPI.

[1]
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/tty/serial/sc16is7xx.c#L1185