Re: SC16IS762 SPI interface Driver

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:42:42 +0530, ram kiran wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Ram, thanks for reposting :)

> SC16IS762, has two interfaces i2c/spi, and I see that the current
> driver preset in main line kernel 4.0, supports only i2c.
> Is it available over SPI interface ?

Current mainline driver is not available on SPI, but it uses generic
regmap interface to access the registers so it shouldn't be hard to
make it work with SPI (you would just have to write the .probe()
routines).

> I have a tested SPI interface based SC16IS762 chip driver.
> Would like to know if I can contribute the code to main line kernel.

I think you mean the sc16is7x2.c driver by Manuel Stahl and others.
I'm pretty sure we don't want to have two drivers for the same device
in mainline, especially that the current one uses that generic register
API.

However, both of those drivers have issues with locking (uart uses
spinlocks but I2C/SPI transfers are asynchronous) it would be nice
to somehow merge them together to get the best of both.