Re: Handling of automatic flow control in UART drivers

On 10/14/2014 05:22 AM, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 01:13:21PM -0400, Peter Hurley wrote:
>> On 10/13/2014 10:48 AM, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have problem with automatic flow control (i.e. auto RTS/CTS handshaking) in
>>> our uart driver (men_z135_uart.c). It's probably less a technical but a problem
>>> with me understanding the API.
>>>
>>> I active the hardware auto flow control feature on the CRTSCTS flag in my
>>> uart_ops->set_termios() function. But then the RTS flag is set on every call of
>>> the uart_ops->set_mctrl() function, this seems to confuse the hardware. Is there
>>> a way to tell the tty layer that flow control is handled solely by hardware?
>>> I.e. is there a way of telling serial core to leave out the calls to
>>> uart_set_mctrl()/uart_clear_mctrl() in uart_throttle()/uart_unthrottle(), or is
>>> setting UPF_FLOW_HARD and then implementing a dummy port->ops->{un}throttle()
>>> the correct way?
>>>
>>> Are there any drivers that use a hardware's automatic flow control feature I can
>>> use as an example? A fast grep on AFE reveals some spots, but I can't really
>>> find a difference to my implementation.
>>
>> uart_throttle()/uart_unthrottle() is essentially broken.
>>
>> If the RTS pin is driveable, then the UART driver must respond to TIOCM_RTS
>> set and clear in the ->set_mctrl() handler, regardless of any mode selected
>> in termios or other mode such as autoRTS.
>>
>> This requirement exists because both userspace and other kernel drivers may
>> want to drive RTS for their own purposes.
>>
>> For example, a bluetooth UART HCI may allow the bluetooth module to sleep
>> and wakes up the module by driving RTS low for a certain length of time;
>> if autoRTS prevents MCR writes from driving RTS, then the wake up never
>> happens. (see drivers/bluetooth/hci_ath.c : ath_wakeup_ar3k() for the
>> equally broken workaround of turning off CRTSCTS via an internal
>> tty core function which is going away soon).
>>
>> The reason why TI 16c750-based AFE doesn't have to bother with this is
>> because, on that hardware, the MCR RTS bit overrides the autoRTS state;
>> ie., RTS = MCR_RTS & autoRTS.
>>
>> If your hardware treats the two states orthogonally then you'll need
>> to turn off autoRTS mode if TIOCM_RTS is being cleared.
>> The amba-pl011.c driver does this; see drivers/tty/serial/amba-pl011.c:
>> pl011_set_mctrl().
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> We've actually found the problem. When using auto flow control we need to
> disable the modem status IRQs, in order to work.

So the UART still raises modem status interrupts for DCTS when autoCTS is on?

> The only problem that arises here is, when the modem status IRQs are disabled
> the uart_ops->start_tx() isn't called anymore. But there should be work arounds
> available.

Almost certainly this is because ->hw_stopped has been set. The serial core
does this in two places (besides uart_handle_cts_change()):
uart_port_startup() after initializing the port and, in
uart_set_termios(), which, if you set UPF_HARD_FLOW, the serial core will skip.

Regards,
Peter Hurley

[Note: there's been some changes to flow control for 3.18; hw_stopped was moved
to uart_port].