Re: tty loop-back device

28.09.2013 20:03, Grant Edwards пишет:
What you're talking about is pretty much the existing pty device.

Unfortunately, Linux pty's only support a subset of the serial port
API, so they can't be used for applications like network-connected
serial ports.  So people like me have to write kernel-mode drivers for
such devices.

Yep, pty_set_termios looks like a mock or dummy, when it is critical part to applications like network serial port devices. One needs to set baudrate, parity, etc.

I've suggested extending the Linux pty so that it _does_ support the
rest of the serial port API.  I even offered to work on it if the
results would likely be accepted into the kernel tree, but my
questions/offers have never gotten any response.

It seems that BSD and Unix98 pty's may coexist in pty.c. So, there is a chance that it is possible to add support of Extended pty not breaking existing things. One need to be a brave to change something in pty.c, It is quite critical part.