Linux Serial Code Problems

 On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 06:14:30PM -0500, Roger Davis wrote:
I have been pursuing a serial port problem for over a year, using Ubuntu 12.04.
I reported it on 2012-12-07, and the bug was confirmed soon after that. I'm not
sure if the root cause is in the basic Linux kernel, or if it is only in Ubuntu.
Others are having problems with similar modems.

The exact same computer and modem (USR 5610C, PCI, 16550 chip, Linux
compatible, http://www.usr.com/products/modem/modem-comparison.asp , with
integral controller and serial port, NOT a Wimmodem ) works just fine in
Windoze. I switch OS's by hardwire switches in removable drive trays, so it is
really the exact very same computer, not just another one of the same spec.

The serial port ttyS4 seems to be detected, but yet not detected, and not
usable by the modem. IRQ 17 also seems to behave oddly. I suspect that internal
modems with both controller and integral serial ports have been kinda
"overlooked" during coding, so the code gets confused and stumbles?

There has been no fix action since I reported it, and the bug is still
unassigned.

Please see confirmed bug " https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1087519 " for
much more details.