8250.c: Generic support for RTS disabling once shiftreg and fifo is empty. (low latency RS485 etc).

Hi.

I have written a patch for 8250.c that introduces a new ioctl to tell the uart driver to shift disable RTS when uart has been completely emptied.
This idea is to set the ioctl once the master is finished and wants to shift the bus.
We needed this to be in the kernel since we have very little time to shift RTS according to the implemented protocol on top of RS485.

Is there any interest in the community for such a behavior?

The patch is a little ugly right now. It busywaits a maximum amount of time for the shift register to become empty. I don't know how to do it without introducing a latency that is more than our max RTS time shift requirement (50us). I think it could be useful with a generic 8250.c support for this.

Regards,
Christian Melki--