Re: Deterministic behavior for TTY serial

Hi Greg,

Op 19 april 2012 02:14 heeft Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> het
volgende geschreven:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 04:38:30PM +0200, Ivo Sieben wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are currently using the TTY framework for serial communication.
>>
>> We are wondering if it is possible to give the TTY device in more
>> deterministic behavior (as in "less locks & no sleeping")
>
> What specifically are you looking for?

We run an application with a real-time thread, running on a high priority.
This thread does serial communication, using non blocking read/write
file I/O on a tty device, with small amounts of data (= 24 bytes).
This application runs on a AT2AM9261 processor, 200 MHz
The maximum execution time of both the read & write go up to 200 us

>> So in case of non blocking read/write behavior:
>> - We want directly write data to the serial_core transmit buffer and
>> return immediately.
>
> What is "immediately"?

We use non blocking read & write functions
We would like the read/write functions to always execute less than 100us

>> - Incoming data should be buffered, on a read data is read directly
>> from that buffer and when no data available return immediately
>
> That doesn't happen today?
>
> What type of latencies are you seeing today that is bothering you?  What
> hardware are you expecting to work in this manner?  What exact UART are
> you using?  What happens when the UART buffers data?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

We use a self written serial_core device uart driver that implements a
driver for a UART peripheral in a FPGA on our target board..