Re: USB Smart Card reader

On 25 February 2012 16:41, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:01:17AM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have done some development work on the iuu_phoenix.c driver in the
>> Linux kernel.
>> The iuu_phoenix is a smart card reader.
>> The smart card reader can be given a unique identification string of
>> 16 characters/hex bytes. This ID can be read when the card reader is
>> inserted into the USB port.
>> I would like to be able to set up device names in /dev so that when
>> inserting a card reader into the USB port, it always will appear withudev
>> the same unique name in /dev.
>> Similar to the by-uuid used for hard disk drives.
>
> Your distro should already have /dev/serial/ which provides this for you
> automatically.  Have you used that and found it somehow lacking?

My question is how to I get the card reader ID, that is going to be
read by a special usb request, to influence the name of the
/dev/serial device name.
If the first card reader has ID: 0001, and the second has the ID:
0002. The IDs are programmed into the EEPROM of the card reader. I
would like the IDs to be passed to udev so that even if only one card
reader with ID:0002 is plugged in, it always gets the same name in
/dev/serial
The reason for this, is so that someone can look at the device name in
/dev/serial and then know exactly which physical device it applies to.