USB Smart Card reader

Hi,

I have done some development work on the iuu_phoenix.c driver in the
Linux kernel.
The iuu_phoenix is a smart card reader.
The smart card reader can be given a unique identification string of
16 characters/hex bytes. This ID can be read when the card reader is
inserted into the USB port.
I would like to be able to set up device names in /dev so that when
inserting a card reader into the USB port, it always will appear with
the same unique name in /dev.
Similar to the by-uuid used for hard disk drives.
Can someone tell me how to do this, or probably better, point me to an
existing driver that does it within the linux/drivers/usb/serial tree.

Kind Regards

James