Re: Onboard COM of P5E-V-HDMI

Could be a fault with the Mother board.  Could be a grounding fault.

First thing that I would check is continuity on the RS232 port ground
pin to the motherboard earth with a multimeter (say one of the black
leads from the power supply).

It's my first guess that the port has a bad ground connection, and that
you are seeing a current flow out of the output signals back through the
input signals down to ground via input pull down resistors on the
motherboard, or in the chip-set.

If you have access to a CRO I would say that it would be worth looking
at the serial port wave forms.