When line-discipline doesn't fit - serial from the kernel again

Hi

I've been trying to find a suitable solution for this problem for many
months now. Meanwhile I've implemented an ugly hack, that's in the
mainline since about 2.6.20, but now there's another platform with the
same "feature" and I'd really love to avoid repeating that hack again...

There are NAS devices from Buffalo from the Linkstation family, that have
an AVR microcontroller doing system power management (power on / off /
reset / LEDs / buttons / timer / watchdog / ...) and connected to the main
CPU over a UART. It would be all fine and everything can be implemented in
the user-space, except power-off / reset. It is really like that - you
send a byte to the AVR over the UART and you are dead or reset. Obviously,
this should be done from arch low-level kernel code and cannot be done
from userspace. Even worse, there are PPC, ARM, and MIPS Linkstations.

There have been a few "kernel serial API" patches floating around, none of
them got far enough, mostly they were rejected with "use line-discipline"
sort of argument. What should Linkstation do?

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski