Re: should RTS init in serial core be tied to CRTSCTS

"Tosoni" <jp.tosoni@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The reality is: the need exists, it does not break the driver, other OSs
> support it, Linux does not, I personally wrote support for it in the
> existing 8250 driver, other people wrote similar code in similar Linux
> drivers.
>
> But for some reason maintainers did not want to hear about this work. So I
> must reinsert it over and over again with each new version of the kernel.
> </sigh>

Some link to archives maybe? I don't think I've seen your code.
Perhaps you should post the code again? Cc to the maintainer and
lkml wouldn't hurt.

> What I talk about, is a way to toggle RTS
> around transmit data with acceptable delays. This can only reside in the
> serial driver, not in a line discipline.

Of course.

> I do not want to remove the existing behaviour for RTS, I want to add a
> optional "new" one to handle the original standard, and I do believe that I
> am not alone to need this.

That is quite possible, though the normal way of getting things
included into the kernel is posting a patch, getting comments,
perhaps fixing problems, posting again, until it's accepted.
--
Krzysztof Halasa
-