Re: should RTS init in serial core be tied to CRTSCTS

"Tosoni" <jp.tosoni@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> A flag alone is no help for half-duplex devices, they would need
>> a complete handshaking code.
>
> Not true.
> This is also the view of the former maintainer of drivers/serial.

It's just reality. If your IC in question does this in hardware
- fine, but you still have to support it in the driver, adding
a #define XXX doesn't help.

"Code talks".

> But
> obviously neither of you used half duplex devices before.

This is your "not true". I was using them, though they weren't
modems.

> There is no need for handshake, since half duplex is used in master/slave
> situations.

Not necesarily, there are CSMA/CD-style designs as well as token-ring
style.

> And I can insure you, that Windows handles this very well, using
> only the above-mentioned RTS_TOGGLE flag.

That means the DCE does all the buffering and handshaking. I'd say
it's not common, most devices are simpler.
--
Krzysztof Halasa
-