Re: Problem with a host having an UNREACHABLE address ?

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 05:57:18PM +0100, Boiteux Frederic wrote:
> 	Hi Vlad,
>
> >> When I start SCTP messages exchanges, the hosts are using the first
> >> address, which is working, and messages are correctly transmitted. On
> >> the peer of the failing-IP host, I get notifications that this IP
> >> address is UNREACHABLE, it's correct. In fact, I get one notification
> >> each 100ms, but this can probably be setup.
>
> >No, this was an issue that was recently addressed.  See >https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net.git/commit/?id=061079ac0b9be7a578dcd09f7865c2c0d6ac894a
>
> Right. But it's not a big problem to ignore them...
>
> >> The problem is that after some time of message exchanges, about 20
> >> seconds, the hosts get a LOST notification for the association and no
> >> message can't be sent anymore until a new association is built.
>
> >Which host gets the LOST notification?
>
> It's the host receiving UNREACHABLE notifications (not the host having a failed IP, but its peer). It's why I wondered if association breakage and these notifications was related.

It sounds to me like you just can't include multihoming with the address you're
referring to.  E.g.:

Host A has ip addresses 1 and 2
Host B has ip addresses 3 and 4

Host A ip 2 isn't routeable

Regardless of Host A's unrouteable ip address 2, its getting included in the
INIT chunk when you establish a connection with Host B, and Host B is then
trying to reach Host A by ip address 2, which your network is rejecting due to
its unrouteable nature.  The only thing I'm aware of to do here is not inlucde
that address, but using the connectx call and not including the unrouteable
address.

Neil