RE: Problem with a host having an UNREACHABLE address ?

	Hi Vlad,

>> When I start SCTP messages exchanges, the hosts are using the first
>> address, which is working, and messages are correctly transmitted. On
>> the peer of the failing-IP host, I get notifications that this IP
>> address is UNREACHABLE, it's correct. In fact, I get one notification
>> each 100ms, but this can probably be setup.

>No, this was an issue that was recently addressed.  See >https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net.git/commit/?id=061079ac0b9be7a578dcd09f7865c2c0d6ac894a

Right. But it's not a big problem to ignore them...

>> The problem is that after some time of message exchanges, about 20
>> seconds, the hosts get a LOST notification for the association and no
>> message can't be sent anymore until a new association is built.

>Which host gets the LOST notification?

It's the host receiving UNREACHABLE notifications (not the host having a failed IP, but its peer). It's why I wondered if association breakage and these notifications was related.

>> is the LOST related to these UNREACHABLE notifications, or should I
>> look for other cause ?

>It might be, or it might be related to some transport selection code that has seen some good fixes.
> It would be good if you could try this on a recent kernel to see if you still see the issue.

I tested my application on virtual systems having the same kernel/system, and tried to do the same configuration, but didn't reproduce the problem.

As it's difficult/impossible to upgrade the kernel (without modifying the system, and I can't do that), do you think backporting sctp kernel module is a way to test this ?

Anyway, given the 'UNREACHABLE' notifications is a wrong suspect, I'll try to do some network packets' capture to try to understand what is going on...

  Many thanks,
             Fred.