Re: SCTP Multihoming Heartbeat ACK Behavior

On 07/01/2014 01:20 PM, Neil Horman wrote:
On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 03:48:32PM +0800, Winston V. Tizon wrote:
(***) -> Based on SCTP RFC4960, expected behavior is secondary IP address
          should be used as path in sending the HB_ACK.

Actually, its quite the opposite, this confirms that the sctp protocol is
functioning normally.  RFC 4960 says this about HB_ACK's:

3.3.6.  Heartbeat Acknowledgement (HEARTBEAT ACK) (5)

    An endpoint should send this chunk to its peer endpoint as a response
    to a HEARTBEAT chunk (see Section 8.3).  A HEARTBEAT ACK is always
    sent to the source IP address of the IP datagram containing the
    HEARTBEAT chunk to which this ack is responding.

The only thing that a peer has to do regarding a HB frame is sent an HB_ACK to
the source ip address of the corresponding HB frame (in this case172.168.39.4),
which we do my recording the inbound transport that the HB frame arrived on.

I agree with you, Neil, the RFC only mentions that we need to "sent to the
source IP address", which was what I've quoted earlier on as well, so above
statement to use "secondary IP address should be used as path in sending
the HB_ACK" is not a MUST.