Re: HB.Max.Burst

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Vlad Yasevich <vyasevich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/20/2014 09:31 AM, Karl Heiss wrote:
>> I have a question about the HB.Max.Burst parameter for the LKSCTP
>> stack.  I notice that there is no explicit parameter for this value
>> and the alternative from RFC 5062 (only one HB per RTT) does not
>> appear to be implemented either (see excerpt below).  The only
>> limiting factor appears to be max.burst.  Am I missing something
>> obvious or should there be some other form of limiting heartbeats to
>> mitigate some of the issues outlined in RFC 5062?
>
> Not sure what you mean by "there is no explicit parameter".
>
> There is a system tunable /proc/sys/net/sctp/max_burst that can be
> changed.
>
> The value may also be controlled by application through the
> SCTP_MAX_BURST socket option.
>
> Additionally, lksctp will only send one HB per RTT.

I did not realize that it would only send one HB per RTT.  I do see
now that max_burst does indeed apply to control chunks, as I was
originally under the wrong impression that it only applied to data
chunks.

However, from what I can see in the source, it appears that
sctp_sf_sendbeat_8_3 is only limited by asoc->max_retrans and
SPP_HB_ENABLE.  Thus I would think that every time the heartbeat timer
expires, we would queue up a heartbeat, assuming that are have not hit
max_burst and other constraints.  Is it limited somewhere later in the
stack or am I just being obtuse?

Karl