Re: Gap not retransmitted after switchover

Georgios Cheimonidis wrote:
> Hi Vlad!
>
> I made quite a lot of tests today. Here are my results.
>
> When I repeated my previous test (IPv4 addresses only) I did not
> experience any problems. So, it seems that the patch worked! The server,
> after receiving three consecutive SACKs with the reported gap (three
> miss indications), it retransmitted the missing TSNs and the data flow
> continued normally. I repeated it many times and the result was always
> the same.
>
> However, I experienced the same problem (not always but some times) when
> I had the following setup.
> - Server having both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on ethernet interface.
> - Client having IPv6 on ethernet (X) and IPv4 on wlan (Y).
> - Association established with all the above addresses belonging to the
> association. The client uses its IPv6 address to contact the IPv6
> address of the server (initially), so the initial handshake is done
> using the IPv6 addresses. The client sends an ASCONF just after
> association establishment to tell the server to set its primary to the X.
> - Whenever the ethernet cable is removed at the client, the client calls
> setsockopt(SET_PEER_PRIMARY_ADDR) to tell the server to set Y as its
> primary and then calles sctp_bindx() to remove X from the association.
> In this scenario, sometimes the server does not retransmit the gap
> (after changing primary from X to Y and deleting Y from association).
>
> Another observation that I have made, is that sometimes, after the
> ethernet cable is removed and I call setsockopt(SET_PEER_PRIMARY_ADDR)
> on the client to set the peer's primary to Y, the actual transmission of
> the ASCONF chunk is observed after many seconds (sometimes I observed
> the transmission 30 seconds after the call to setsockopt). I don't know
> if this is normal. Even with IPv4 only test I observed a small delay
> between calling setsockopt() and observing the ASCONF chunk, but it was
> about 1-2 seconds. With the IPv4/IPv6 test, this delay varied more.

Interesting.  Looks like what happens is that we continue to try and use
the current primary destination, which uses the interface that lost the link.
So, that most likely triggers retransmissions.  Depending on the rto.max,
you might see a delay...

The DEL_IP ends up being delayed untill the first one succeeds.

What happens if you reverse your two calls?  Call bindx() first to remove the
address, and then call SET_PEER_PRIMARY.  BTW, with only 2 paths, you don't
really need to change the primary since there will only be 1 path and it will
automatically become primary.

Additionally, IPv6 routing is not always correct right now.  Thus, you may
end up with IPv6 route even though it should not be used any more.  The switch
in the call order above might help with that.  I am working on fixing the v6
routing right now.

-vlad