Re: What partition should the MTMKPART argument specify? Was: Re: st driver doesn't seem to grok LTO partitioning

Le Fri, 22 Jan 2016 02:10:03 +0000
"Seymour, Shane M" <shane.seymour@xxxxxxx> écrivait:

> > However, before making the final patch, we should decide which
> > partition the specified size should apply to. For the SCSI level
> > <=2 it applies to partition 1. For other drives we may have some
> > freedom to “tune” the definition. The size should apply to the
> > partition the users expect it to apply.
>
> I'd argue for consistency here in the current interface and that it
> should apply in the same way more on that below.

I agree, it would be extremely surprising (in a bad way) to see your
application behave differently when upgrading your drive, for instance.

> > Partitioning with two partitions is used for storing index in a
> > small partition and use the rest of the tape for data. In this
> > case, it is probably natural to specify the size of the index. The
> > LTFS definition supports index in any partition. The open source
> > code I have seen seem to default to index in partition 0.
> >
> > The HP and IBM LTO default partitioning (FDP=1) specifies two wraps
> > (minimum) to partition 1 and the rest to 0.

LTFS 2.2 specifications doesn't explicitly number partitions, however
it makes it clear that the "index" partition (the smaller one) must come
first. Furthermore, all LTFS tapes I've had a look at have partition 0
as index.
Add to this the fact that current LTO-7 tapes are 6 TB. That comes to
pretty big numbers when you want to size a partition in MB.

> It may be worth noting (if you're going to update any documentation)
> that isn't 100% accurate. You actually get one wrap in partition 1
> and the rest minus one wrap into partition 0. There is one wrap used
> as a guard between the two partitions. The size given to a partition
> is rounded up to the size of a wrap as well.
>
> See
> https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21419_04/en/LTO5_Vol3_E5b/LTO5_Vol3_E5b.pdf
>
> Page 100 where it gives examples of how partition sizes are
> calculated on HP LTO5 drives.

Ican confirm this from the tests I've made on LTO-5 and LTO-6. The size
of the partition you'll obtain may end quite different from the size
you've asked for. This is made particularly difficult when you must
convert a few TB to MB, and you don't know exactly where it'll