Re: st driver doesn't seem to grok LTO partitioning

Laurence,
Shane Seymour from HP provided this useful link:
  https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21419_04/en/LTO5_Vol3_E5b/LTO5_Vol3_E5b.pdf

That documents the WRITE BUFFER command on pages 228 and 229 used
by HP LTO-5 drives. For sending new firmware it looks like you need
to use MODE 4 or 5. [That description does not look like the work of
an engineer who understands the subject matter :-)].

And it seems like HP implement the REPORT SUPPORTED OPCODES command
which means you can use the sg_opcodes utility. For the WRITE BUFFER
command, that should break out the MODE numbers that the drive
actually supports. For example, this from a SSD:
 3b  0  10  Write buffer, combined header and data [or multiple modes]
 3b  2  10  Write buffer, data
 3b  4  10  Write buffer, download microcode and activate
 3b  5  10  Write buffer, download microcode, save, and activate
 3b  6  10  Write buffer, download microcode with offsets and activate
 3b  7  10  Write buffer, download microcode with offsets, save, and activate
 3b  a  10  Write buffer, write data to echo buffer

Looking back in this thread I see you mention a Quantum Ultrium 5
tape drive; so this HP information may not apply.

Doug Gilbert