Re: Clarification for Persistent Reservation + All Registrants

On Sat, 2014-12-13 at 08:33 +0100, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 17:53 -0800, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:

<SNIP>

> > > Again, I don't understand the distinction between implicit and explicit.
> > > For an all registrants reservation, all registered initiators are the
> > > reservation holder so any one of them may release the reservation.  Once
> > > the reservation is released, there's no reservation at all.
> >
> > So some initiator still needs to perform the actual RESERVE, right..?
>
> Yes, there's no reservation until a reserve is issued.
>
> > That is, a number of registrations don't become 'implicit' reservation
> > holders until one initiator performs an 'explicit' RESERVE with type=All
> > Registrants.
>
> Once one initiator issues an all registrants reservation, all registants
> become the reservation holder.

> > > R_HOLDER is set for any initiator that would be defined to be the
> > > persistent reservation holder in section 5.6.9
> > >

> > Well, section 5.6.9 only mentions the use of RESERVE, so that would seem
> > to indicate the original interpretation + current code for
> > READ_FULL_STATUS is correct.
>
> It should be set for every registered initiator in the all registrants
> case (because they're all the reservation holder).

Thanks for the clarification on this.

> > > I know what was negotiated to support clustering (which is a pretty tiny
> > > subset).  However, I think your point of confusion is trying to
> > > distinguish between what you call implicit and explicit reservations ...
> > > there's no such thing.  There's only a reservation holder which may be
> > > many initiators, So it's binary: a given initiator either is or is not
> > > the reservation holder.  Section 5.6 needs to be read in that context.
> > >

> > The confusion is around when registrations who don't issue an explicit
> > RESERVE become implicit reservation holders.  Is it when one initiator
> > does an explicit RESERVE + type=All Registrants, or is it when REGISTER
> > + type=All Registrants occurs..?
>
> There is no reservation until a reserve command is issued.  Once an all
> registrants reservation is issued, by any registered initator, all
> registered initators then become the reservation holder.

So based on the above, the issue raised by Ilias where once the original
All Registrants reservation is released, the other registrations lose
their 'implicit' reservation until someone does another RESERVE +
type=All Registrants is a bug.

Working on a proper bugfix for this now.

Thanks James!

--nab