Re: mpt2sas and mpt3sas merge (again)

>>>>> "James" == James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

James> I support the concept, since I think everyone told LSI at the
James> time that splitting the drivers would become a maintenance
James> nightmare.

And it is. I'd like to see these drivers merged as well.

James> One of the big reasons we don't have a lot of leverage with them
James> is that they always seem to slide updates around upstream via the
James> distros (often, it has to be admitted the DKM route), so if Red
James> Hat, SUSE, Oracle and Canonical can agree not to accept LSI
James> updates until the driver is done this way, we'd have a lot more
James> leverage.

Unless it's a trivial bug fix Oracle won't take anything that's not
accepted upstream. We are working with Avago/LSI to streamline their
driver process to be a better fit for both upstream development and
distro kernels.