Re: mpt2sas and mpt3sas merge (again)

Back when the mpt3sas driver was first posted I suggested that it should
be merged into mpt2sas, but my proposal didn't get much traction.

Illumos has now produced a shared driver and shown that the difference
are basically limited to a different S/G list format [1], and a quick
experiment on the Linux drivers confirms this mostly - the additional
differences are various smaller workarounds for specific hardware
revisions.

I think we'd all be served much better with a merged driver.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.illumos.devel/17341

Please. Pretty please.

I've started a merge myself, but then never found time to finalize it.

Carrying three basically identical drivers just creates a maintenance overhead for everyone involved.

The original idea of splitting the driver and just maintaining the latest has never really worked out; all fixes to the latest driver turned out to be applicable to the others, too. So it just increased the workload for the maintainer for no real gain. I would _strongly_ vote for it.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688