Re: atomic write & T10 standards

Quoting Ric Wheeler (2013-07-03 11:04:12)
> On 07/03/2013 11:00 AM, James Bottomley wrote:

> >> I should have sent this to the linux-scsi list I suppose, but wanted clarity
> >> before embarrassing myself :)
> > Yes, it is a better to have a wider audience
>
> Adding in linux-scsi....
>

> >> If we have to use fua/flush after an atomic write, what makes it atomic?  Why
> >> not just use a normal write?
> >>
> >> It does not seem to add anything that write + flush/fua does?
> > It adds the all or nothing that we can use to commit journal entries
> > without having to worry about atomicity.  The guarantee is that
> > everything makes it or nothing does.
>
> I still don't see the difference in write + SYNC_CACHE versus atomic write +
> SYNC_CACHE.
>
> If the write is atomic and not durable, it is not really usable as a hard
> promise until after we flush it somehow.
> >
> > In theory, if we got ordered tags working to ensure transaction vs data
> > ordering, this would mean we wouldn't have to flush at all because the
> > disk image would always be journal consistent ... a bit like the old
> > soft update scheme.
> >
> > James
> >

> Why not have the atomic write actually imply that it is atomic and durable for
> just that command?

Picture the atomic write as a building block, and something like an
fsmark workload:

Create N new files:

for (i = 0 ; i < N ; i++) {
	[ allocate inode, create directory entry, update bitmaps ]
	[ fua/flush ]
}

vs

for (i = 0 ; i < N ; i++) {
	[ allocate inode, create directory entry, update bitmaps ]
}

[ fua/flush ]

The atomic user should be able to choose between FUA/cache flush and
not.  In the specific O_DIRECT use case, I can't see how non-fua is a
good idea, but that's different from the generic case.

-chris