Re: Can not see/access devices on Marvell 88SE9485 + SiI 3726 PMP

On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 14:52 +0200, Hajo Möller wrote:
> On 01.07.2013 16:38, James Bottomley wrote:
> > mv_sas is a libsas based driver.  libsas doesn't have any support for
> > SATA PMPs.  When it was added they were left as a todo item but then in
> > the field everyone deployed enterprise type SATA devices in SAS expander
> > chassis, so PMP support just got forgotten.
>
> That's a pity, so it's unlikely libsas will get support for PMPs in the
> near future or at all?  Sadly I'm not able to add the support myself.
>
> Do you know of any SAS controllers which do support SATA PMPs?
> I'm stuck with the PMPs, so I'm trying a SATA controller with an
> 88SX7042 next, although having a good SAS controller would be better in
> the long run.

No, I'm afraid not.  Libsas has been released for nearly seven years and
no-one has noticed in all that time, which means it's a really rare
thing to do.  Everyone who uses SAS controllers usually has either a
direct connection or an expander.  There's no real reason to buy
expensive kit and then plug it into a cheap port switch.  That said,
it's possible that some of the firmware SAT blob based controllers, like
the MPT ones might have PMP support ... but because of the rarity it's
likely to be buggy.

James