Re: T10 WCE interpretation in Linux & device level access

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 18:36 -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 04/24/2013 06:09 PM, James Bottomley wrote:

> >> Having the knob is useful indeed.  I don't like the "temporary" name
> >> though, because "temporary write-through" doesn't sound like it can eat
> >> data on a power loss.  What about "force" or "assume"?
> > I'm fairly ambivalent, except not force.  The default behaviour is to do
> > the mode select, so force seems to imply that as well, except it won't.
> > I don't see a difference between assume and temporary.
> >
> >> Also, this would be in addition to my patch (when tested), right?
> > Not really ... given T10s deprecation I don't think we want to touch
> > anything to do with SYNC_NV because it just adds to the uncertainty
> > about what will actually happen.  Giving the ability to control WCE (and
> > RCD) fixes all the problems raised so far.
> >

> Why are we turning off the RCD bit in this? Not sure it matters, but we only
> should care about WCE (and the dirty write cache data)?

Well, it's in the code.  Cache policy is a combination of those two
bits.  The cache type takes a cache policy string, ergo it must update
both.  We don't do anything with it because having a write back cache
and no cache at all is transparent to us.

James