Re: sd_mod or usb-storage fails to read a single good block (was: ehci_hcd fails to read a single good block)

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 08:30 +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:
> Executive summary:
> It is probably sd_mod which is too aggressive in failing reads, and
> which needs the same fix that libata and linux-ide received a few
> years ago.  Now adding the linux-scsi mailing list and quoting my
> original (faulty) report at the bottom of this message.
>
> Matthew Dharm corrected me:
> > Actually, ehci_hcd has nothing to do with this.  The problem in
> likely in sd_mod or the scsi core.  Those are the modules that
> translate your userspace request for a single block into a scsi
> request, which is then processed by usb-storage and passed to the usb
> core
>
> OK.  Since libata and linux-ide had been fixed some years ago, and I
> saw ehci_hcd assigned to the interface I was using yesterday, I blamed
> the wrong victim.  I understand it's likely to be sd_mod or
> usb-storage.
>
> > So, the problem is that sd_mod is turning your request for a single
> block into a request for several blocks.

No, it won't be this.  Everything below block does exactly what block
says.  If readahead is the problem, then you need to turn it off in
block:

echo 0 > /sys/block/<dev>/queue/read_ahead_kb

> That's part of the problem.  Readahead is not a bad thing to do.  The
> problem is that sd_mod or whoever is too aggressive.  Instead of
> marking buffers for nearby blocks as not having valid data available,
> it further refuses to supply valid data for the good block and errors
> out a call that should have succeeded.  libata and linux-ide used to
> have the same defect before they were fixed.
>
> > As for needing unplug and replug, likely the firmware in your device
> is crashing when it encounters a bad block. So there is nothing which
> can be done to recover aside from resetting the device with an
> unplug/replug cycle.
>
> The disk's firmware correctly reports a read error when reading the
> bad block and correctly proceeds to obey later commands to read good
> blocks if so ordered.  This is the same drive that I mounted on a
> motherboard's IDE connector a few years ago when testing linux-ide and
> libata.  However, if you blame the usb-to-ide bridge's firmware, I'll
> try to find a way to test it.
>
> Alan Stern also corrected me:
> > It is the block layer which insists on reading an entire page at a time.
>
> Understood.
>
> > This has nothing at all to do with ehci-hcd.  You can prove this
> (assuming your computer has a UHCI or OHCI controller) by unloading
> ehci-hcd and running the test again.
>
> I understand that ehci-hcd can be unloaded and reloaded (well,
> sometimes I can't rmmod some other drivers, but I understand how to
> try).  I don't see how that would prove anything though.
>
> > ehci_hcd does not try to reassign anything.  Rather, it is
> usb-storage which resets the non-working device.
>
> OK.  I have a feeling that usb-storage is overly aggressive in
> resetting a device and trying to assign a new address.  The drive does
> not need resetting; I mentioned above that it correctly reports a bad
> block and correctly continues operating.  Though if the USB-to-IDE
> bridge is to blame, I'll try to find a way to test it.
>
> > If the device were working properly, unplugging and replugging it
> wouldn't be necessary.  The failure is entirely the device's fault.
>
> I do not believe that.  The drive's report of failure to read a bad
> block is correct operation by the drive.  Mishandling of a correct
> error report is the fault of the driver that mishandles the report.
>
> I originally wrote (blaming the wrong component):
> >> dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1 skip=551563
> >> should succeed because block 551563 has no problem.  But it fails
> because ehci_hcd insists on reading blocks 551560 through 551567, and
> block 551562 does have a problem.

this is not fixable using dd which goes through the page cache (and thus
had a minimum read of a page at a time).

If you want exact 512 byte sector reads, use sg_dd instead.

James