need help solving mpt2sas target unplug can hang worker thread

I'm doing this on powerpc/4xx (if that matters).  Basically
I can normally hot-plug or hot-remove disks from the mpt2sas
just fine.  It is easy to replicate on my system if I unplug
the drive during the enumeration process.  Based on what I
see, I gather it is in the scsi layer rather than the
mpt2sas driver, but I don't have that much experience in the
scsi driver to be certain.

There are 2 cases that cause this ...

1) Device never finishes the initial enumerate sequence
because there is something wrong with the drive, firmware on
the drive, etc.

2) The drive was unplugged before the enumeration completes.

*MAYBE* this is addressed by the null pointer dereference
patches I've seen posted.  In any case, I get the thread
dumping every 120s, I cannot remove the driver module from
the kernel.  My only option is to reboot.  It would be great
if it didn't happen at all, but even if I can reset the
controller and get things back to a happier time, that would
be perfect.  Any tips for how I might accomplish that or is
there a particular patch I should take a look at / apply?

Thanks
Ayman