Re: target userspace utils (rtsadmin) project is dysfunctional

Jerome,

You have released the code and publish repos using a GPL-compatible
license. These are the good things, but you're doing almost everything
else wrong.

* Lacking FOSS infrastructure. No dedicated list, no releases, no
bugtracking, no roadmap or communication on future plans.

* CLA is a barrier to external contributors. I can't fix things that are
important to me but you've rated a low priority. e.g. removing lio-utils
dep for saving state. Even if I was willing to sign the CLA, you've
positioned rtsadmin "community edition" as the little brother to your
proprietary product. I'm betting features I would want to add (remote
API?) would conflict with features you've slated for your EnterPrise
Edition, and likely would be rejected. FOSS development is supposed to
be mutually beneficial, but requiring a CLA and restricting external
contributors' rights by using a restrictive AGPLv3 license means things
are tilted too far in your favor.

* You named the utility after your company, not the project name. This
obviously isn't a huge deal (I can patch it to have a better name) but
it seems to say you'd rather take all the credit for the utility, and
will make decisions for marketing reasons that are not in the best
interest of your users.

I can fix all these things for myself and the rest of the FOSS community
by forking the project. Here's what needs to happen:

* Set up proper infrastructure. This is a simple as rehosting on github
or sf.net. Set up a mailing list. Release something. TALK about your
plans. You need to do these things before you can expect to get serious
external contributor attention.

* Change your patch acceptance policies. The CLA must go. Proprietary
value-add is ok but it should be a separate component. (If you can't do
this, it means you're slicing things too thin.) A BSD license instead of
AGPL may be more suitable. You cannot limit the FOSS project based upon
it duplicating features from your proprietary one - yesterday's special
sauce is today's commodity feature.

* Rename it. lio-utils was a decent name -- a user thinks "hey that must
be utils for using LIO, I should install it!" but rtsadmin == "where is
this rts thing I am admining?" Fail. I'd suggest tcmadmin or
targetadmin. Feel free to use rtsadmin for your EE version.

Finally, let me say I have had positive experiences working with both
you (Jerome) and Nick. I've worked at places where sometimes the
company's interests (at least as it perceived them) did not align with
the FOSS way. Your code is valuable enough to fork rather than start
over, but not so valuable that the current state (of licensing,
especially) is acceptable.

Regards -- Andy