Re: mpt2sas: bug in disk ordering?

On Fri, 13 May 2011, Caspar Smit wrote:

I am used to the fact that all disks in a chassis are ordered in linux according to the slot numbers on the chassis, this is to ensure a reliable RAID setup so that /dev/sdb for instance is always in a certain slot in the chassis. So far I only used lsi 3081e-r controllers and these always gave me solid and reliable disk numbering. If this goes random, how am i supposed to keep track which disk is where in the chassis?

This has been discussed extensively before. There is no way to do it the way you want to. Personally, I label the serial number on the front of the drive cage and use that for tracking (together with smartctl).

Drive naming is not deterministic in linux as said before, and the quicker you accept this try to find other ways you're comfortable with that solves your operational problem, the less pain you will be in.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx