Re: Why is scsi_request_fn called every 4 milliseconds?

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11-01-27 09:43 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 22:04 +0800, BingJiun Luo wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to measure SATA AHCI Host controller read performance.  Open
>>> /dev/sda and using  read(int fildes, void *buf, size_t nbyte) user space
>>> function to read 2048 times, each time 64KByets, and total 128 Mbytes.
>>>
>>> I measured the time start from one step before write CI register inside
>>> ahci_qc_issue() function until ahci_port_intr () is called in the
>>> interrupt
>>> context. It takes about 1 milliseconds to complete one 256KBytes READ
>>> DMA EXT command, and spend about 15 microseconds call to scsi_done().
>>>
>>> However, why scsi_request_fn is called about after 4 milliseconds
>>> to pass next IO request for Hardware to issue? It take less if the READ
>>> DMA command with less number of sectors.
>>
>> I'm not sure I parse the question, but I think you're asking why we
>> chain the next issue from the softirq in SCSI?  That's because most SCSI
>> devices are tagged and the bus is the bottleneck, so after processing
>> the completion, we need to get the next command out ASAP to keep the bus
>> utilised to capacity.
>>
>>> My questions are:
>>> 1. Is it the time to prepare one 256 KB READ DMA EXT command by upper
>>> layer (Block Layer or Virtual File system Layer)? Or, It is the time to
>>> copy
>>> data from kernel space memory to user space memory after data is read
>>> back from Hard Drive and delay the next command pass to SCSI?
>>
>> Everything in SCSI is done with zero copy (as in we DMA straight to the
>> pagecache page, which is then attached to userspace).
>
> Just to add some numbers to that point, on this CPU:
>    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540  @ 2.53GHz
> [a Lenovo X201 laptop] with a dummy logical unit
> (pseudo disk) set up with this invocation:
>  $ modprobe scsi_debug delay=0 virtual_gb=2468
> with lk 2.6.37 I measure the following.
>
>  $ ddpt if=/dev/bsg/7:0:0:0 bs=512 count=1m bpt=1
> Output file not specified so no copy, just reading input
> 1048576+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> time to read data: 4.815756 secs at 111.48 MB/sec
>
> That is issuing over 1 million SCSI READ commands from a
> user space program (and reading the data returned) in less
> that 5 seconds. So the SCSI READ command overhead is better
> (i.e. less) than 5 microseconds per command.

It depends one how many sectors to be read per command? If 512
sectors are read per time, it spends about 900 microseconds.

> Increase the "blocks per transfer" (bpt) to 512 to see
> the data throughput (plus fetch 10m blocks) and this
> is the result:
>
>  $ ddpt if=/dev/bsg/7:0:0:0 bs=512 count=10m bpt=512
> Output file not specified so no copy, just reading input
> 10485760+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> time to read data: 1.896136 secs at 2831.39 MB/sec
>
> The latter figure is around 800 MB/sec using the Ubuntu
> 10.10 stock kernel (lk 2.6.35-24-generic) on the same
> machine. Something increased data throughput considerably
> between lk 2.6.35 and 2.6.37 . OTOH it may be a
> difference in my .config settings.
>

> So the latency per command added by the kernel and the
> SCSI subsystem (apart from the low level driver and the
> transport) is measured in microseconds rather than
> milliseconds.

I am not running on PC, but embedded system CPU=512MHz
and AHB bus 133 MHz. I think there is the different. I can only
read about 112 MBytes in 3 seconds. Using hdparm. Kernel
version 2.6.28.