Re: PMP and SEMB messages to SEP

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:05:04PM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 18:48 +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> > > That's hardware RAID PMP.  It would just show up as a single drive to
> > > the host.  They can do whatever they want to if they do that.
> >
> > okay, understood.

> > > AFAIK, the ahci em message thing is not via PMP.
> > > It's for cases where the ahci controller is directly connected
> > > to an enclosure. Well, that's my understanding anyway.
> >
> > okay, so something similar would be useful for controlling
> > enclosures attached to PMPs then?
> >
> > what would be the 'proper' place in the sysfs tree, espceically
> > as the PMP doesn't show up there (yet)?
> >
> > how would I go about adding something like that to the kernel
> > and where should it be placed (sysfs and code wise)?
>
> OK, just so we're not at cross purposes:
>
>      1. For an enclosure processor to show up and be attached to the
>         enclosure driver, it has to present as a SCSI target. This
>         often means handling nasty encapsulations somewhere (SES is
>         most often used on non-standard busses like i2c or GPIO). If
>         it's within a PMP and has a defined encapsulation which ATA
>         recognises, it sounds like libata is the best place for this.

it seems that the SATA specification, specifically the PMP
part 'defines' something called SEMB (Smart Enclosure Management
Bridge) which is controlled via specific SATA PMP commands to
send 'messages' over (typically) I2C to an SEP (Smart Enclosure
Processor) which can act upon them and even generate data/replies
to retrieve information like the temperature, fan status, etc

>      2. The above has nothing to do with whether the PMP device shows
>         up in sysfs or has a bsg command port. That's a completely
>         separate discussion based on whether it makes sense (and
>         whether we can cope with the topological complexity). Just by
>         way of example, it's mostly not possible to use expanders with
>         enclosure devices via our expander bsg device, because there's
>         no SMP encapsulation of SES. What mostly happens is that the
>         expander has two or more target ports, one of which is SMP
>         and the other (completely separate one) is an addressable SES
>         target.

as far as I understood, the SEMB is a separate and well
defined entity controllable via special PMP commands ...

not every PMP has to have one, but if they do, it should
conform to the specification, even on the I2C layer

HTC,
Herbert