Re: scsi: convert discard to REQ_TYPE_FS instead of REQ_TYPE_BLOCK_PC

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 20:47:48 -0400
Mike Snitzer <snitzer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So it seems the transition away from BLOCK_PC to REQ_TYPE_FS has enabled
> us to actually know about malformed SCSI requests without special SCSI
> tracing.
>
> This appears to be a welcomed side-effect of using REQ_TYPE_FS.

scsi-ml just ignores the results for BLOCK_PC since it assumes that
the upper layers want to handle. The block layer and file systems
can't handle the results of discard so discard should be REQ_TYPE_FS.

With REQ_TYPE_FS conversion, we might see more errors of discard that
we have ignored so far. However, the errors aren't due to REQ_TYPE_FS
conversion. REQ_TYPE_FS conversion doesn't lead to any changes to
scsi_cmnd struct.