Re: does scsi_io_completion need to dump sense data for ata pass through (ck_cond = 1) ?

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 20:44, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> Krzysztof Błaszkowski wrote:
> > Hello Eric,
> >
> > I think it is not necessary and current behavior of kernel like 2.6.31
> > confuses QA people.
> > They need explanation that message like below:
> >
> > sd 5:0:1:0: [sdb] Sense Key : Recovered Error [current] [descriptor]
> > Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex):
> >         72 01 00 1d 00 00 00 0e 09 0c 00 00 00 00 00 00
> >         00 00 00 00 00 50
> > sd 5:0:1:0: [sdb] Add. Sense: ATA pass through information available
> >
> > stands for that sense data contains ata registers file and the command
> > was executed properly.
> >
> > Here is additional condition i used in scsi_io_completion() which
> > suppresses this message. Is it okay ?
>
> Close but I would like to see a filter on the additional
> sense code ATA PASS-THROUGH INFORMATION AVAILABLE [0x0, 0x1d].
> There is nothing in SAT that precludes the return of a RECOVERED
> ERROR sense code for a read on a SATA disk that was recovered
> after some extra work (for example).

of course but is it good idea to log sense data if:
- it is created on demand by application. (sat-2 ch 12.2.2 and .3)
- it doesn't contain some failure status

?

> With that filter in place there is no need to filter on the command.

right but OTOH if filter used asc/ascq then it would filter out all commands
even these with some failures.

i am not sure if this is really what you want to have, ie block all dumps of
ATA PASS-THROUGH sense data.

> IOWs just filter on sense code RECOVERED ERROR and additional
> sense code ATA PASS-THROUGH INFORMATION AVAILABLE. SAT and SAT-2
> compliant implementations should then dump less to the log.

i would say that asc/ascq filter will stop logging all SAT/SAT-2 check
conditions instead of "less".

that improvement i sent has better "granularity".

> Doug Gilbert

Krzysztof Blaszkowski