crash unrelated to sym53c8xx

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 02:28:08PM +0200, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> Hmm,
> maybe a bit usefull can be begin of crash message, he got on console:
>
> databox [488754.946366] BUG: spinlock recursion on CPU#1, swapper/0
> databox [488754.950343]  lock: f70ddbe0, .magic: dead4ead, .owner: swapper/0, .owner_cpu: 1

Yes, that's somewhat more useful ... the tail of the stack trace in the
photo indicates this isn't (at least directly) a bug in the sym53c8xx
driver.  Can you get the rest of the crash message?  netconsole might
help here if you don't have a serial console.

> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 02:26:10PM +0200, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> > Hi Matthew,
> > well, I've got VERY crappy screen photo, my collegue made using his cellphone, You can check
> > it on http://nik.lbox.cz/downloads/sym53c8xx-crash.jpg
> > But we can quite easily reproduce the problem, I'll try to do it today evening and make a
> > better screenshot...
> > I'll report further then.
> > Regarding warning, couldn't it then be surpressed, if it's harmless? Kernel then gets tainted,
> > which makes me a bit nervous :-)

There's a few reasons this warning hasn't been fixed yet:

 - It only appears on module unload.  Most people don't unload sym53c8xx.
 - The problem that it's warning about is only a problem on ARM.
   There's not a huge userbase of ARM users with sym53c8xx cards.
 - Fixing it requires a fairly large rewrite of how sym2 manages its
   memory.  I've done about half the work required, but I've basically
   run out of interest.