Re: [RFC] FC pass thru - Rev IV

You are making many of the same arguments I tried to enumerate with James B when we first started discussing whether we had to enumerate everything before talking to it. Your points are a bit more eloquent than mine. I put the ELS_NOLOGIN on the host in to test the argument.

I'm not married to requiring everything to be enumerated to talk to it via CT/ELS and figured in many cases, simply making the request to the host really was the right thing to do. Being able to do so via the host, as well as via anything enumerated, plus the request to enumerate something, are enough primitives to cover everything.

So, following your proposal, let's add a FC_BSG_HST_CT request, that looks similar in form to the FC_BSG_HST_ELS_NOLOGIN request and with response semantics similar to the rport version. We'll let the LLDD determine whether it needs to do logins/logouts, and whether it wants to enumerate anything in the process.

-- james s

Sven Schuetz wrote:
OK, let me be a bit more precise. Maybe I shouldn't have called it
FC_BSG_HST_CT_NOLOGIN but something like FC_BSG_HST_CT_NOT_ENUMERATE.

As the FS-GS dictates, we do a port login and logout for CT requests, but
completely in the driver. We do that for some internal CT stuff and I have
implemented it for userspace CT requests with Seokmanns patch as well. We just
do not advertise the ports to fc_transport (we are only logged in for the
duration of the request). Having to react to FC_BSG_HST_ADD_RPORT would mean to
rewrite our wka port handling, plus some of it is done in our firmware and not
in zfcp.

So my suggestion would be to add something like FC_BSG_HST_CT_NOT_ENUMERATE for
drivers that do the port logins on their own. Other drivers can respond with an
error code, making it necessary for the app to do the port login on their own
(FC_BSG_HST_ADD_RPORT), that means following the procedure I outlined in my
previous mail.

In addition, userspace apps that deal with complete CT frames (like
implementations of HBA API) would not have to rip the frame apapart to find out
the generic service/wka port in question and then do the port login. They can
just send the frame to the driver and rely on the driver to do the port
login/logout.

Sven