Re: question on block-layer timeout change

Shi, Harris [Harris.Shi@xxxxxxx] wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Thanks for your valuable input.
>
> For item 1, how can I make sure that the timed-out command will have
> the timer modified via blk_add_timer given that one of following
> conditions has to be met,
>
> * timer isn't already pending or

I don't completely understand the RDAC architecture, but here are my
comments bases on what I read from your earlier email.

When your timed_out function is called, the timer is already fired

In your case, you should always return 'BLK_EH_RESET_TIMER'. This is
just to make sure that the command doesn't fail before you resubmit the
request to the real HBA adapter, I think.

> * this timeout value is earlier than an existing one.

When you return BLK_EH_RESET_TIMER, the block layer puts the command
again in its timeout queue and waits for another 'timeout' value before
calling your timer again.

You can send the request to real HBA divers after timeout expiry. If you
really want to fail, you can return some other value...

> Also where do I need to have a retry after reset the timer?
There is no retry of the command. If you return 'BLK_EH_RESET_TIMER' the
command is still with your driver and you can take another timeout value
to finish the request.

> For item 2, rq_timed_out_fn is tied with scsi_times_out at the very beginning. What's the purpose to tie a specific mpp method? How do we handle the case if timeout is triggered at this time?

When you send the request to the real HBA, the request timeout value
doesn't change. So Mike's suggestion is to have your own timed_out_fun
that returns BLK_EH_RESET_TIMER few times (effectively hijacking the
timeout value). See gdth_timed_out() for this case.

--Malahal.