Re: mac scsi, ncr5380

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 04:16:08PM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> > From a SCSI generic point of view. The current xxx_NCR5380 remind me
> > allot of the old ESP drivers stack. At-least at the surface level of
> > the patches I sent for both these drivers. I was lucky, at the end, to
> > only send the xxx_NCR5380 patches, because, as strongly recommended by
> > Christoph Hellwig (CCed), the old ESP stack was brilliantly replaced
> > by a new one. That is 1/10 the size of the old one, and currently
> > supports most of the interesting devices out there. My unsent patches
> > was a catalyst, for the now broken old-driver-stack, to be removed
> > quickly. And it seems every one is happy.
> >
> > My point being, If you are looking to do a major cleanup work, on all
> > these 1/2 forks. Maybe give a hard thought on just trashing the all
> > thing and crafting a completely new stack, 1/10 the size and much
> > simpler, modern, and maintainable.
>
> That would we very nice.  All 5380 drivers are in a really sorry state,
> and a new one even if only working for sun3 and atari for now would be a
> great change.  I'm not even sure if we have any users left for the PC
> and arm 5380 drivers.

Me neither. And I'd prefer not to worry about the PC and arm drivers. I've
bitten off more than enough already.

If I follow the ESP model, we'd get something like this:

-atari_NCR5380.c
-atari_scsi.c
-atari_scsi.h
-mac_scsi.c
-mac_scsi.h
-sun3_NCR5380.c
-sun3_scsi.c
-sun3_scsi.c
-sun3_scsi.h
-sun3_scsi_vme.c
+ncr5380_scsi.c
+ncr5380_scsi.h
+mac_ncr5380.c
+atari_ncr5380.c
+sun3_ncr5380.c
+sun3_vme_ncr5380.c

Which would eliminate some of the duplication. I'd leave the other files
untouched and let someone else worry about what to do with them -- in the
hope that a rewrite that meets the needs of atari/sun/mac will at least
approximate an alternative for the others.

Finn